Women's Endowment Fund
The Jewish Foundation of Manitoba's Women's Endowment Fund is designed to generate financial resources for the benefit of organizations helping Manitoba women. It is a practical, meaningful way to act as "women helping women".
History of the Fund
The Women's Endowment Fund was established in 1994 to encourage women’s philanthropy. The Fund is committed to improving the lives of Manitoba women by generating financial resources that are distributed in the form of grants, twice annually. The WEF inspires women about philanthropy and the power they have to effect positive change.
The WEF is unique in Manitoba, giving exclusively to organizations and programs devoted to enriching the lives of girls and women. Since its inception, the WEF has distributed nearly $550,000 in grants to more than 80 different organizations.
In 2016, the Women’s Endowment Fund supported the following initiatives:
Alpha House ($5,000)
- To support the replacement of the current beds, cribs, couches, and coffee tables in the apartments that the clients reside in while participating in the program.
Canadian Red Cross Society, Manitoba Region ($2,500)
- To support families who were affected by the fires in Fort McMurray.
Gwen Secter Creative Living Centre At Syd Glow Place ($5,900)
- To support ‘Babas and Babes’ - an intergenerational bi-weekly program bringing babas/grandmas together with young mothers and their babies.
Jewish Child and Family Service ($8,000)
- To support Phase 2 of an existing support group for Jewish women living with addiction in their families.
Joy Smith Foundation ($6,000)
- To support a project to take school curriculum into the school setting to educate students, teachers and parents about human trafficking.
Marymound Inc. ($5,000)
- To support the development of a 24/7 residential treatment centre that would provide crisis stabilization, clinical assessment, intervention and transition services through a multi-disciplinary team approach for female youth aged 12 to 17.
Rady Jewish Community Centre ($2,800)
To support a program to provide an outlet for newcomer women who are new moms to come together to get support through a variety of program experiences at the Rady JCC.
Sarasvàti Dramatic Theatre Productions and Repertory Inc. ($2,500)
- To support Phase One of a new community-based theatre initiative, ‘New Beginnings’, pairing artists with newcomer women in Winnipeg.
Siloam Mission ($6,000)
- To add 36 more shelter beds, so no one is turned away.
Women’s Health Clinic ($4,530)
- To support the redevelopment of an existing evidence-based sexual and reproductive health education program to meet the needs of Main Street Project staff and clients.
To see if your organization qualifies for a Women's Endowment Fund grant, click here
Your Gift can Commemorate a Special Occasion
The Women's Endowment Fund offers a meaningful way to commemorate special occasions in the lives of loved ones with the establishment of new funds, contributions to existing funds or through Women's Endowment Fund Tribute Cards.
To send a Tribute Card, click here.